I also assume you have already setup WebLogic Server and a user domain as per my previous blog instructions. So now let's setup the IDE to boost your development.
- Create a simple HelloWorld web application in IDEA.
- For your HelloWorld, you can go into the Project Settings > Artifacts, and add "web:war exploded" entry for your application. You will add this into your app server later.
- Ensure you have added the Application Server Views plugin with WebLogic Server. (It's under Settings > IDE Settings > Application Server)
- Click + and enter Name: WebLogic 12.1.2
- WebLogic Home: C:\apps\wls12120
- Back to your editor, select Menu: Run > Edit Configuration
- Click + and add "WebLogic Server" > Local
- Name: WLS
- On Server tab, ensure DomainPath is set: C:\apps\wls12120\mydomain
- On Deployment tab, select "web:war exploded" for your HelloWorld project.
- Click OK
- Now Menu: Run > "Run WLS"
Some goodies with Intellij IDEA and WLS are:
- Redeploy WAR only without restarting server
- Deploy application in exploded mode and have IDE auto make and sync
- Debug application with server running within IDE
- Full control on server settings
NOTE: As noted in previous blog, if you do not set MW_HOME as system variable, then you must add this in IDEA's Run Configuration. Or you edit your "mydomain/bin/startWebLogic.cmd" and "stopWebLogic.cmd" scripts directly.